Peak School’s latest newsletter is available to read now. Find out the latest news around the school and upcoming events.
[wc_fa icon=”angle-right” margin_left=”” margin_right=””][/wc_fa] Principal’s Message
[wc_fa icon=”angle-right” margin_left=”” margin_right=””][/wc_fa] Golden Book
[wc_fa icon=”angle-right” margin_left=”” margin_right=””][/wc_fa] School Council: Box of Hope
[wc_fa icon=”angle-right” margin_left=”” margin_right=””][/wc_fa] Hero Too Foundation
[wc_fa icon=”angle-right” margin_left=”” margin_right=””][/wc_fa] Year 5 Winter Fair
[wc_fa icon=”angle-right” margin_left=”” margin_right=””][/wc_fa] Year 6 Maritime Museum
[wc_fa icon=”angle-right” margin_left=”” margin_right=””][/wc_fa] Year 6 Unit of Inquiry
[wc_fa icon=”angle-right” margin_left=”” margin_right=””][/wc_fa] Library News
[wc_fa icon=”angle-right” margin_left=”” margin_right=””][/wc_fa] The 4th International Zhou Youguang Cup Chinese Talent Show (Hong Kong), 2018
[wc_fa icon=”angle-right” margin_left=”” margin_right=””][/wc_fa] After School Activities
[wc_fa icon=”angle-right” margin_left=”” margin_right=””][/wc_fa] Disclaimer
Dear Peak School Community
It has been a privilege working with your children this term and they should be very proud of their growth and efforts in the past 17 weeks. Although tired, we have all enjoyed the festivities of the past week or so with the highlight being the St John’s Nativity last Thursday night. Can I thank you all for your conduct on the night at St John’s. It was by far the most respectful and calm event we have enjoyed at the Church in the 8 years that I have been involved. That is a credit to all the families that attended.
I do hope you all get some time off over Christmas to spend with your children. That is the greatest gift you can give them of all. They just want to spend time with their family and loved ones at this time of year so I do hope you are able to be with them during their holiday.
Merry Christmas everyone and I wish you all a safe and relaxing Christmas break.
School Council Box of Hope
Thank you to all those students and families who contributed to the Student Council Box of Hope charity. Our school donated over 100 boxes which we know will make a lot of children smile this Christmas.
Thank you all for your support.
Hero Too Foundation
Year 5 Winter Fair
On Thursday 30th November, Year 5 held their Winter Fair, which was the culmination of our unit – People engage in economic activities to meet their needs and wants.
We raised over $7,000, which will be shared equally between the ISF Cambodia and the Heifer Foundation HK. The children excelled themselves as producers and sellers and are very proud to be able to support not one but two charities with their profits.
Thank you to all those who supported Year 5 with the fair. Photos from the fair are available in the photo gallery on the school website.
Year 6 Maritime Museum
As part of our How We Express Ourselves unit ‘Art created as action from our beliefs can be interpreted differently’ Year 6 had the opportunity to visit the Hong Kong Maritime Museum to see the art exhibition ‘Sharks and Humanity’.
The students were inspired by some powerful sculptures and paintings which questioned how humans treat sharks. We look forward to seeing what action our students may choose to take from this experience.
Year 6 Unit of Inquiry
As part of our recent unit of inquiry “People around the world take action as a result of conflict’, Year 6 were fortunate enough to meet with the The Elephant Society. This organisation is determined to end illegal wild life trade and poaching. The children were shocked by the statistics and learned that one elephant is killed every 15 minutes for their tusks. These tusks are only used for ornaments. ‘The only thing that needs an elephant tusk is an elephant.’ Masai warriors together with other conservationists are working hard to take action to stop the destruction of the elephant species. Many of the students were also inspired to take action by writing letters to the Hong Kong Legislative Council asking them to ban ivory trade in Hong Kong. Please see one of those students’ presentations by clicking HERE.
The holidays are here and Christmas is coming! It’s a very short month in the Library, but we’ve been busy – read all about it in our December News.
The 4th International Zhou Youguang Cup Chinese Talent Show (HK), 2018
To better promote Chinese Culture and to strengthen Chinese education amongst Hong Kong’s youngsters, Peak School together with other schools are going to hold the 4th Zhou Youguang Cup Chinese Talent Show in April, 2018 at 6 ESF primary schools and Australian International School.
We also aim to use this event to showcase young Chinese learners’ talent and to offer them a platform for communication. Here are some basic information of the Chinese Talent Show:
A snapshot: Please click Here to watch a video about last year’s Chinese Talent Show.
Participants: Students of 4-11 years old, in kindergarten, primary or secondary schools
- Chinese Native Speakers – both parents are of Chinese origin, and using Chinese as her/his first
- Non Chinese Native Speakers – with one or two non-background parents, or using other languages
as first language despite the fact that parents are of Chinese origin.
Use of Language:
Putonghua is the only accepted language in speech items. Both simplified and traditional Chinese characters are accepted in writing items.
- Every participant should select competition items matching their age as well as their year level ( For Peak School students, Year 1 students aged 5 will be allocated in Kindergarten group, Year 1 students aged 6 will be allocated in Lower Primary group; Year 2 /3 students will be allocated in Lower Primary group; Year 4/5 will be allocated in Middle Primary Group and Year 6 students will be allocated in Upper Primary Group)
- Every participant can choose no more than three competition items that match their age group.
- Any participants whose total score from three competition items is the highest will be awarded the title of “champion”;
- Champions will get a certificate of award and a special cup; they will also be qualified to enter the national final;
- Each item from each group will have one first prize, one second prize and one third prize (a certificate will be awarded); additionally, there will be several awards of excellence (a certificate will be given to the winners).
- One or two extraordinary participants from this year’s event will be chosen to be the “Chinese Culture Ambassador”; they will become the image ambassador showing up on Hong Kong region’s poster for the year.
Please click Here for detailed information.
Registration Period: 25th November 2017 – 26th January 2018
Registration Methods and Payment:
- Please register at https://goo.gl/forms/ws1OG1hLRRdCW4JJ3
A cross cheque collected by Chinese teachers:
- The cheque is made payable to: HONG KONG ASSOCIATION FOR THE PROMOTION OF PINYIN QUALITY EDUCATION (PYQE) ;
- Please write down your child’s name and competition items at the back of the cheque ( Cash is not acceptable).
After School Activities